Tuesday, May 6, 2008

We picked the dull crayon in the box......

Well, today we found out that little Mo is not very smart.

Leo and I went out front for a quick walk. Mo stayed in the house. He's afraid to go in the backyard by himself, so I wasn't even thinking this could happen.

Well.....We have concrete block fences around our yard, but for drainage, they always leave a concrete block with decrative holes in it on the bottom. Our stupid, skinny dog, stuck his head through the diamond hole and got it stuck!

Poor little thing was in such a panic - he was rolling and screeching! Leo kept pointing at him and saying "Oh no, Mo!" I ran to call my mom for help.

After putting vegetable oil, Pam cooking spray and butter all over the poor dog's head - and convincing Alex via phone that "No, I can't just hit it with a hammer......" We decided to call the fire department.

Three of the hottest firemen came out to help us (big fire engine and all parked right in front of our house) - sigh, my house was a mess and I was quite embarrassed by my stupid dog. They actually had to use a really big ice pick looking thing and a big sledgehammer (which they swing quite nicely, by the way) to break Mo free from his concrete guillotine. I couldn't watch - my mom had to. I thought for sure we were putting another dog to sleep today.

So, needless to say - we have discovered that we picked a dumb one and Mo has a new nickname "Butterhead" The poor thing is so tormented by baths, that I had to attempt to get the oil and butter off with just a wet rag - didn't work. So now he has a long, sticky mohawk and smells like the kitchen floor at McDonalds....

6 comments:

Shana said...

I hate to say this but that really is a funny story! Poor Mo must have been terrified. At least you got some hot firemen:)
-Shana

Jenny Evoy said...

Katie,

I needed a good laugh and just got it! You are a very good story-teller. I hope little Mo wasn't too traumatized... :)

Jenny

Rydley said...

Oh, that is hysterical! (But I still feel for pathetic Mo.)

Beth said...

okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that story was funny.. but I did feel bad for Mo too!!! Glad you got him out and had some nice "eye candy" to boot!!!

Unknown said...

Our dog sam did the same thing at my parents place. Head stuck in a decorative hole in a piece of fence. I think it might be the breed Katie.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! You guys don't seem to have much luck with pets. No worries, though... our Sam (who incidentally looks a lot like your Mo, AKA, Butterhead) has had his head stuck in several fences since we got him! He doesn't like to be caged in, so anytime he's left in a fenced yard he tries to escape and... you guessed it... head stuck! Many other times he's managed to get away. Can't tell you how many times we have gotten phone calls that someone has found our Sam. He's such a stinker! Anyway, like our Sam... your Mo is cute enough to make up for the lack of brain activity going on in the upstairs! :-) Congrats on the new addition... he and Leo will have so much fun!

Learn Chinese!

Timeline


January 8, 2007 Attend Adoption 101 Information Session in Mesa, AZ
January 22, 2006 - Apply for preapproval from our agencyand Taiwan
January 23, 2007 - Application for USCIS (I-600A) form submitted
January 28, 2007 - 1st Homestudy meeting
January 28, 2007 - Sign adoption contract with our agency
January 29, 2007 - Approved to adopt from Taiwan
February 1, 2007 - Clearance from state of Arizona
February 6, 2007- Maricopa application to adopt is filed
February 13, 2007 - Clearance from state of Michigan, Medical clearances, and Fingerprint invitation arrive from USCIS
February 24, 2007 - Fingerprinted for USCIS
March 11, 2007- Homestudy Complete and Court Certification from Maricopa County received
April 28, 2007 - Homestudy is translated into Mandarin
July 1, 2007 - Finally receive 171-H in the mail
July 6, 2007 - Get new case manager
July 22, 2007 - Sign adendum to contract
August 8, 2007 - Our lucky day! Referral for Lin Kai-Yi, born 6-3-06
August 8, 2007 - accept referral
August 13, 2007 - Sign Child Referral Agreement
August 23, 2007 - Paperwork arrives in Tucson
August 24, 2007 - Paperwork arrives to us
August 26, 2007 - Documents notorized (How many adults does it take to use a stamp?)
August 28, 2007 - Documents certified by AZ Sec. of State
August 29, 2007 Documents sent to TECO to be authenticated
September 4, 2007 - Documents arrive in Tucson from TECO
September 6, 2007 - Documents sent to Taiwan! YEAH!
September 10, 2007 - Update day! We receive 4 pics and a video!
October 2, 2007 - Receive word from TWCA that our hearing date is October 9, 2007 (this happened extreamly fast!)
October 9, 2007 - Keep your fingers crossed for a quick 1st ruling (even better yet, keep your fingers crossed for a final ruling!)
October 11, 2007 - October updates are here!
October 19, 2007 - Receive more pictures and videos from Ray's visit to Taiwan!
November 5, 2007 - November updates are here!
December 2, 2007 - December updates are here! Can't believe there has been no news all month!
December 13, 2007 - FINALLY! Word of our First Ruling! Yippeee! It happened on Dec. 13th in Taiwan (yesterday here)
January 4, 2008 - January updates
February 4, 2008 - February updates
February 28, 2008 - Leaving for Taipei!!!
February 29, 2008 - Arrive in Taipei!
March 4, 2008 - Gotcha Day! Can you even believe it!?!?!?
March 5, 2008 - FINAL RULING FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY! (by the way, our paperwork says the final ruling was issued December 24th!)
March 6, 2008 - First AIT appointment
March 7, 2008 - VISA DAY!
March 10, 2008 - Leave for home!
March 10, 2008 - Arrive home with our boy!!!!!!!!!!!
July 5, 2008 - Find out about Wil's arrival!
March 10, 2009 - Wil Shan-Yi Shaffer is born at 3:38 am 8 lbs. 4 oz. 20 inches long